Thursday, September 24, 2009

Chez Moi

After about one month in France, I am happy to report that it is starting to feel like home. It's little things that make me realize this: I understand conversations I overhear on the métro without really listening, I'm forming thoughts in French, navigating public transportation is becoming second nature, French people I meet seem surprised that I'm American. I'm starting to feel like this is my country--I'm starting to feel comfortable.

That's not to say I've given up on being a tourist. Monday I visited the Musée d'Orangerie and got to check one major item off my to-see list: Monet's waterlilies. The series is housed in three oblong-shaped rooms, light by skylights. The paintings follow the curve of the walls and as I stood in the center of the room, I truly had the sensation of being on an island in the center of a pond, surrounded by cool blue water, lilies in various stages of bloom, reeds and weeping willows. It was absolutely beautiful, and especially meaningful after studying the paintings, their history, their context and Monet's personal attachment to them last semester. They truly are a statement of peace in beauty in the imminent face of World War I.

After the l'Orangerie, I walked along the Seine all the way to Île-de-la-Cité to see Notre Dame. The sun was beginning to set and the western light hit the face of the cathedral perfectly. Inside, the shone perfectly through the stained glass--everything was aglow, yet without the harsh glare of direct light. To add to the experience, a monk was performing Gregorian chants and burning incense. The effect was magnificent--the perfect way to see the cathedral.

Tuesday I had the day off of class so Aurora and I took the RER to Versailles. As expected the château was both incredibly opulent, and incredibly crowded. Though the 17th century is not my favorite period in art and architecture (I prefer a little less gold and don't think it necessary to have a portrait of Louis XIV in every room), I was glad to have seen it.

In other news, while my courses at the Sorbonne have not yet commenced, I have started my Sweet Briar classes and am very happy to get back to the world of academics. Both my writing and art history professors are very animated and very effective teachers, so I look forward to the upcoming semester. However, I'm still a little worried about my classes at the Sorbonne. All of the courses I want to take seem to overlap so coming up with a schedule that works has been very difficult. I finally figured out a plan, but I'm not sure if the French literature class I have selected with count for the credit I need. I've emailed the study-abroad contact in the French department and am still waiting approval. Hopefully I will know before classes start on October 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment